Saturday, June 14, 2014

Alcoholic Advice

Another 100 word story.

Finally got a break from work.  First thing I did?  Laundry.  Next?  Drink.  I figured if I drunk enough I'd get a story somewhere.

And it did as I was finishing off a beer while playing board games with some friends who I haven't seen thanks to my wonderful, wonderful work schedule.

I'm a lightweight, so I like to drink slowly to give myself time to process the alcohol.  Like majority of Asians I lack the enzyme Alcohol Dehydrogenase, although I know a few that drink like a fish.  So through most of the game I couldn't help laughing way too loud, falling off the chair laughing, and trolling my friends by making them think I was the spy (Resistance!  Check it out!  Fun game!  Don't play if you have serious trust issues).

As the night was ending I couldn't help but stare at my glass of beer and wonder, "Why can't I find time for this?"

My life felt a little half-empty at that point of the night.

Then I remembered something I've read:

"... The Great Secret (which, as we've determined, is this:  one has not only an ability to perceive the world but an ability to alter his perception of it; or, more simply, one can change things by the manner in which one looks at them)."  - Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

And I chose to ignore the why I can't, and focused on a half-full glass of beer, the laughs, and the game.

Life and her problems will be waiting for me on Monday.  Until then the weekend is mine to write.

Enjoy.

*and heck yeah I love Guinness!

*picture is originally from http://digitaldeconstruction.com/2012/page/116/#.U5wLu43pgUE






04/29/2014 (Wednesday)- Alcoholic Advice

          I found myself staring at the beer left in my glass, close to the line where you begin asking yourself if everything is half-full or half-empty, a conundrum of alcoholic and existential proportions directly related to the amount of booze imbibed.

          The meniscus of this amber line between bliss and sorrow leaves many a man/woman wondering if our ability to perceive the world, and our ability to alter our perception of it: absolves us of our guilt/problem/situation in which we find ourselves mulling over during “happy” hour.

          The solution I’ve found?

          Bartender, fill her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment