Friday, October 25, 2013

Heavy Eyes

I live in a family full of nurses.  It's because of that I refuse to go into nursing with all the stories they tell me, and the ones I hear at the hospital at work.  It's one of the reasons why I have a soft spot for them, and go out of my way to help them when they call up the Pharmacy and ask for help.  

This is dedicated to all nurses:  most especially my mother, and my aunties.  

It's sad to see newly graduated bright-eyed nurses get treated this way as they face a high stressed and emotionally wringing job.  

Thank you.  I'm sure you've heard it many times from family and patients.  







10/24/2013 (Thursday)- Heavy Eyes

She comes home in her blue nurse scrubs each night, too tired and emotionally worn.  I put a little more sugar than usual in her tea.

She tells me her day:  doctors and families shouting at one another if not at her, drug addicted patients demanding oxycontin before it’s needed, children too young to know what terminal means.

She looks at me with a heart that’s seen too much, made dull and numb by loss and bitterness.  She pleads with her eyes for an answer, for reassurance on a better tomorrow.

I put a little more sugar in her tea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment