Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Alien Tongue

Another 100 word story.

Rushing off to work, didn't want to be late with today's story so here it is.  I just found it funny when someone told me that if I have a problem speaking English I should go back where I came from (I have a very slight accent when I speak).  All this grief while helping them get their medications.  I guess racism isn't truly dead, and I don't think it will be for a long time.

I'm really not bothered by it.  I know that it's really just a few people that are like that and I don't let a few bad apples cloud my judgement about the rest.

Enjoy.

*picture is originally from http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1226125486/fugue-a-surreal-short-film






01/18/2014 (Saturday)- My Alien Tongue

               It’s something I’m trying to change. 

               There’s no way around my looking different: brown of skin, dark of hair, thick lips, dirty-brown eyes.

               In a place where being different is frowned, in a country where I am the alien and my tongue speaks of home even in their language. 

               The least I could do was to sound as if I belonged.   

               So I gave up my language.

               Cut out my alien tongue.

               Took out what made me different. 

               Now I’m starting to sound like them. 

               Now I’m starting to fit in.

               It hurts, but it hurts less than being different.

No comments:

Post a Comment