Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Family Tradition

Another 100 word story update just in time before I head to work.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to post the next part of Brother's Keeper tonight as I get off work midnight and then come back in the next day at 6 am for a 14-hour double shift.  If not I'll definitely have at least a new 100 word story for Thanksgiving up.  

Well.  To be honest my family isn't like this, I'm purely basing this story on something a friend told me once during a family dinner and how it all started falling apart.  I'm sure some people can relate to a family argument happening during a big gathering.  

I hope everyone is enjoying time with their family, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.  

Enjoy.







11/27/2013 (Wednesday)- Family Tradition

The table groans under the weight of a cornucopia of edible delights.  A glutton’s dream.

The people gather and sit in their Sunday best, some trying to outshine the rest while being modest.  Narcissus would be proud.

Silence.  A simple prayer of thanks.  Still smiling.

Then the starter’s pistol sound: Family gossip.  Skeleton’s in the closet.  Tempers flare.  Voices blare.  People take sides.  A house divides.

Strained still smiles fill the silence, awkward thanks to the host and hostess, chilly compliments for the rest.  They each leave wondering, why keep coming back?

The answer is simple,
it’s a family thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment