Friday, September 27, 2013

Recycle, Reuse, Rename

Funny how my mother brings out strange and uncomfortable subjects over dinner... all because I wondered what my name meant.  

Enjoy this 100 word dinner story.  






09/26/2013 (Thursday)- Recycle, Reuse, Rename

“You know.  ‘Michael’ wasn’t the original name we picked for you.” Mom said, bringing out the leftovers.

“Mmm.  I guess you and Pop-pop argued over which grandparent’s name I’d have.” I said, trying to remember if I had tums or not in the car as I warily eyed the recycled leftovers.

Recycled leftovers, it’s a term she coined.  Leftovers spiced up with whatever she found in the pantry: soy sauce, curry, all-spice… whatever she could find.  She hated to waste things, anything.

“So… what was my name originally going to be?” I asked, scooping a spoonful of the leftover.

“Michelle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment