Friday, December 13, 2013

Waiting for a Visit

Another 100 word story update.  I'm going to be working six days straight now that finals are over, thankfully not the crazy rotation schedule like last time.  

Before I was in the pharmacy I used to work at a nursing home as a Patient Care tech.  It's very heartbreaking to see how excited a patient would get hearing that family would be visiting, and then to sit by their window waiting expectantly the whole day for nothing.  It happens too often.  At the end of the day as I help them get ready for bed, the really sensitive and frail ones start to cry.  

That's one of the better nursing homes.  

I've been to ones where patients cry and scream in the hallways, where management gives one box of gloves for all the nursing units to use and tell them to make it last a week.  Where patients are rolled up in their mattress because the nursing stuff have had it.  

Why bring it up?  

Because I've been listening to people talk about all these wonderful vacation escapes they'll be going on this holiday.  I just wanted to remind them.  

There's someone waiting for a call, and just maybe a little bit of your precious time.   

*picture is originally from http://sittingwithsorrow.typepad.com/the_caregiver_chronicles/loneliness/






12/13/2013 (Friday)- Waiting for a Visit

               I watch her, dressed in her Sunday best, checking time and a silent phone and asking me in her sweet elderly voice, “Do they know that I’m ready?”

               “Take your pills, sweetie.  I’ll give them a call.” I stay to make sure she takes them. 

               She smiles, “They’ll be here soon.  I need to look my best.”

               “You look wonderful, Mrs. Jackson.”  

               “Of course I do,” she stares out the window at other families visiting.  Smiling.  Laughing.  Crying.

               “I’ve fixed your bed, Mrs. Jackson.  Just ring if you need me.”    

               “Thank you,” she says, watching other families out her window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment